Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Marked


Let’s let the walls remain bare.
Let’s not play any music in the background.

Let’s not come wearing fragrances,
And labels.

Let’s just meet here,
And nowhere else.

So that when you go away,
I wouldn’t be stunned by places,
Smells, ideas and melodies,
Into the torture of your absence.
The crushing truth of it,
The convulsive,
Slow,
Death of hope.

So that,
Each morning,
I would just have me
To remember you by.
            ***
©Rasagya Kabra, March 13, 2012

"A certain type of perfection can only be realized through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect" ~ Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore




4 comments:

  1. It happens that, sometimes when you see or smell or hear the same things which you had experienced in the past……. and which had some sort of an impact on your mind; your thoughts immediately go back to that time. And you remember things….people associated with the same fragrance. These are the people who affected your life in some way or the other.
    This is how I understand the poem……. and the poem captures that feeling so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prakrati, for understanding it and finding it good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that this is how we should remember the most important people. I feel this is how we do remember them, subconsciously. When I read this poem, the image in my mind was one where I was standing alone, in the middle of a street and my surroundings were blurred, like they didn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pity we can't dispense with ourselves the way we can shut out those smells and melodies. Self-annihilation would be such a sweet way to let go forever. Beautiful poetry! Deeply moved.

    ReplyDelete